Skip to main content

Essay: Writers March to their Own Drum

Writers write to be heard. 

We have stories in our minds and hearts. Think of it like a dam holding back a flood of water. Ideas, voices, settings, characters, they all clamor loudly. We are the dam, and if we resist, we will break. It can be voluntary and we're the mouthpiece for them. Sometimes it is not, and they burst out anyway.

Critics want to stifle that flow of words. Some attack the idea itself. It is not acceptable, not appropriate, not comfortable. Others berate the writer. That person wants attention, they want to be seen and heard. What sort of person would stand out from the crowd? Challenge conventional ways of thinking? Point out the flaws of the world around them? Indulge in worlds that may not exist in reality? Bring out emotions that are unfamiliar or unwanted? 

Who would even dare?

A creative person, of course. One who marches to a different drummer, whose path cannot be predicted or steered into a 'correct' path. One who uses their chosen medium to express their hearts and souls. This person will stand out, just by virtue of what they do. Others will notice and remark on their unique path. That path may not be paved with gold or bring untold riches, but that isn't the goal.

My writing is an expression of who I am. I need to tell the stories of the characters in my head and in my heart. Yes, it means I may not be a typical purveyor of words. It means that I tell my own truth. It may not appeal to everyone and that's all right. They are welcome to look for other writers who might appeal to them; I wouldn't be offended. I refuse to change who I am, what and how often I write, to make them feel justified or vindicated.

I don't mind communicating with other writers or readers at all. As long as we approach ideas with open minds and hearts, and not just point accusatory fingers, we all can make the world a better place with our creativity.

Keep on writing

~Sifa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Prompt: The Queen of Possiblities

The #vssfantasy prompt word is "becoming." Moonlight bathed the nursery. A silver light diffused through the trees and touched every leaf within. My Guide guided me down the dirt path. My ears caught a hint of harp music, with a soft melody of pipes and flute.The sharp smell of fresh rain and spring dew tickled my nostrils. All of my senses told me I was outside, under the bright full moon. I saw no signage or any directional arrows, but before I knew it, the path ended at a wide, green meadow. "Where are we?" The Guide smiled. She tossed her head and her long lavender braid sparkled with glitter. "We are close, please follow me."  Before I could say a word, she was down the path. Her feet didn't even touch the ground; her white diaphanous robe shifted with the wind. I scrambled to catch up. Unfortunately for me, my Human capabilities were limited in the Fae realm, and I had to use my own two feet.  "I'm glad you responded to our Call. Some ar...

Preview: The Unexpected Dinner Party, Part I

A mercenary works for anyone, as long as they have coin to pay for your work. You have to leave your morals and conscience at the door. Survival didn't care about the arbitrary laws of Man. After all, a 'murder' becomes a' mercy killing' under the right context. A 'moral stain' becomes a 'necessary evil' when your own head is on the line. No one cares about your righteousness after the axe severs your neck. Survival of the fittest, and all those cliches. In my world, you did what you had to, if you wanted to see another sunrise. If you had a problem with that, then you go your way, and I'll go mine, and we won't have a problem. So this gig was just like any other. A paid patron who needed a job done. So what if the guy was Undead? There were fates worse than Death, and believe me, in those cases, Death was a blessing. Quick and quiet, no complication and no scandal. That's how I like it. Unfortunately, this time, there was one catch. The ...

Short story: The Traveler Learns a Lesson

 #vssfantasy prompt: ascetic The traveler staggered up the last few steps of the winding staircase. He fell to his knees, breathing heavily in the cold, thin air. The wind chilled him to the bone, despite his thick parka and the woolen scarf wrapped around his neck.  I'm here. I'm finally here. He waited until his head stopped spinning. Aside from the wind, there was no sound at all. No twitter of birds or buzz of bees or drip of water. Just the howl of the air and its icy teeth. Of course, only a madman would climb this high to get away from the world. A madman...or a genius, depending on one's point of view. Grey clouds encircled the peak of this mountain. Dark and impenetrable, a wall that sealed away this little piece of existence. His ears strained to hear any rumble of thunder and found none. Perhaps the lightning couldn't reach this high. Perhaps he had already gone mad. Perhaps his body lay upon the lower paths and it was his soul that arrived here. Could you di...