Skip to main content

Writing Prompt Repost: The Corpse in the Window

This writing prompt response is from the early days of  my original "The Eighth Shot of Espresso" writing blog on Wordpress. I've reposted it here in the new prose blog. This is done more in verse, but it tells a story.

_____

Prompt from  “642 Things to Write About” by the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto):
The corpse you saw in the Undertaker's window

She looked almost alive.
Almost.
The false flush of life
in her sallow cheeks.
Eyes closed in
a timeless sleep.
Dark hair set in curly waves
across her shoulders and
hands clasped serenely
over her breast.

She looked almost alive
Almost.
White satin and lace
a black rose in the bodice.
Delicate silk gloves
to the elbow.
Ivory stockings
a garter on her thigh
never thrown.

She looked almost alive
Almost.
Long lashes against
a colorless cheek.
A trusting smile
frozen in time.
Never knowing the betrayal
the lurked behind
the eyes of
her beloved.

She looked almost alive
Almost.
If she could take another breath
and feel love in
her cold, cold heart
Perhaps she could find happiness
within a den
of hungry vipers
whose lives are worth more
than just a sack of coin.

She looked almost alive
Almost.
Displayed in the undertaker's window.
A tragic doll
clothed in beautiful white
Where all who viewed her
pitied love's folly
and the inevitable
loss of
innocence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Prompt: The Queen of Possiblities

The #vssfantasy prompt word is "becoming." Moonlight bathed the nursery. A silver light diffused through the trees and touched every leaf within. My Guide guided me down the dirt path. My ears caught a hint of harp music, with a soft melody of pipes and flute.The sharp smell of fresh rain and spring dew tickled my nostrils. All of my senses told me I was outside, under the bright full moon. I saw no signage or any directional arrows, but before I knew it, the path ended at a wide, green meadow. "Where are we?" The Guide smiled. She tossed her head and her long lavender braid sparkled with glitter. "We are close, please follow me."  Before I could say a word, she was down the path. Her feet didn't even touch the ground; her white diaphanous robe shifted with the wind. I scrambled to catch up. Unfortunately for me, my Human capabilities were limited in the Fae realm, and I had to use my own two feet.  "I'm glad you responded to our Call. Some ar...

Preview: The Unexpected Dinner Party, Part I

A mercenary works for anyone, as long as they have coin to pay for your work. You have to leave your morals and conscience at the door. Survival didn't care about the arbitrary laws of Man. After all, a 'murder' becomes a' mercy killing' under the right context. A 'moral stain' becomes a 'necessary evil' when your own head is on the line. No one cares about your righteousness after the axe severs your neck. Survival of the fittest, and all those cliches. In my world, you did what you had to, if you wanted to see another sunrise. If you had a problem with that, then you go your way, and I'll go mine, and we won't have a problem. So this gig was just like any other. A paid patron who needed a job done. So what if the guy was Undead? There were fates worse than Death, and believe me, in those cases, Death was a blessing. Quick and quiet, no complication and no scandal. That's how I like it. Unfortunately, this time, there was one catch. The ...

Short story: The Traveler Learns a Lesson

 #vssfantasy prompt: ascetic The traveler staggered up the last few steps of the winding staircase. He fell to his knees, breathing heavily in the cold, thin air. The wind chilled him to the bone, despite his thick parka and the woolen scarf wrapped around his neck.  I'm here. I'm finally here. He waited until his head stopped spinning. Aside from the wind, there was no sound at all. No twitter of birds or buzz of bees or drip of water. Just the howl of the air and its icy teeth. Of course, only a madman would climb this high to get away from the world. A madman...or a genius, depending on one's point of view. Grey clouds encircled the peak of this mountain. Dark and impenetrable, a wall that sealed away this little piece of existence. His ears strained to hear any rumble of thunder and found none. Perhaps the lightning couldn't reach this high. Perhaps he had already gone mad. Perhaps his body lay upon the lower paths and it was his soul that arrived here. Could you di...